Rockland man arrested three times in less than six weeks

Posted:  Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 3:30pm

ROCKLAND — A Rockland man remains in jail after being arrested by police for a third time in almost six weeks.

Anthony Bates, 55, was first arrested April 29 on two counts of burglary after Rockland Police responded to Talbot Avenue to investigate suspected motor vehicle break-ins. A witness followed the suspect and reported to police that he entered an apartment complex on Summer Street.

Rockland officers made contact with Bates and detained him at the apartment building, court records said. He had no stolen items in his possession and was soon released by police on personal recognizance. 

On May 23, another witness recognized Bates and saw him open the door of a neighbor’s minivan, police said. The resident also heard other car doors opening and shutting and called police, according to the affidavit filed in Knox County Court by Rockland police. 

Police apprehended Bates and found a variety of items, such as loose change and lighters, in his possession. 

Bates was charged with burglary of a motor vehicle and violating a condition of release. 

He appeared in Knox County Unified Court May 25 before Judge Susan Sparaco where his bail was set at $300 cash. Bates was later released from jail.

On the same day, the state filed a motion to revoke the pre-conviction bail for Bates.

Bates was arrested for a third time June 5 after Sgt. Andrew Redden responded to a complaint of people drinking at a vacant residence. Police found Bates drinking beer on the deck and observed signs of impairment, which was violating a condition of release, according to the affidavit.

The man then allegedly fled, but was apprehended a short time later in a swampy area field behind the building. He was also charged with refusing to submit to arrest.

Bates will remain at the Knox County Jail in Rockland until his next court appearance for a dispositional conference June 28.

Reach Sarah Shepherd at